Sunday, March 30, 2014

Shikoku Pilgrimage Websites

I'm posting here a few of the good informative websites I have found for the Shikoku Pilgrimage.

Wikipedia has a great description.
The Shikoku Henro Trail site has great information and links.
This is one of my favorite Travelogues that gives a nice day by day picture of life on the Henro trail.
Here is another Travelogue by someone who did the trip by bicycle.

I love this picture from the Wikipedia site that shows how a Shikoku pilgrim dresses for the trip. I will be flying directly from Tokyo to London after the pilgrimage and I have to wonder what the people in London will think of my hat when I get off the plane!  
 
Amy Chavez has written a fascinating book about her adventures while running the pilgrimage.  It is called, Running the Shikoku Pilgrimage, 900 Miles to Enlightenment. It's my favorite Shikoku Pilgrimage story because it is of the same spirit as the way I plan to do the walk.  I am a runner and I love the idea of running at least some parts of it.  So for that reason, I am going to carry the lightest pack I can possibly get away with.
http://www.amazon.com/Running-Shikoku-Pilgrimage-Miles-Enlightenment/dp/1884244351
I also have the Shikoku Japan 88 Route Guide That I bought directly from David Moreton.  This English language guidebook tells me almost everything I need to know for the trip.
http://www.davidmoreton.com/ 
I just ordered the Kindle book The Way of the 88 Temples: Journeys on the Shikoku Pilgrimage By Sibley.  I do have the hard copy of the book at home, but it is nice to also have the electronic version with me here at work on my iPad and iPhone.   
http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-88-Temples-Pilgrimage/dp/0813934729/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396159207&sr=8-1&keywords=The+way+of+the+88+temples


No comments:

Post a Comment