Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Well Planned Day

Today was just the right amount of walking and it was especially nice that I had planned a second night here at my hotel in Uwajima. That meant I got to enjoy the day without carrying my pack.

My first temple of the day was Ryukoji, number 41 perched on top of a hill of course! It had spectacular gardens filled with pink flowers and bright pink flowering bushes. I sure wish I could get something like that to grow in my yard.

Number 42 was only about 3 kilometers down the road and didn't even involve climbing a mountain. Butsumokuji was a nice short walk. A group of statues dressed in bright red bibs and hats greeted me as I entered.

The trip onward to temple number 43, Meisekiji was not nearly so easy. I felt like the route was continually leading me around in circles. There were several sections of beautiful mountain trails though. It really was a hiker's paradise for parts of the 10 kilometer trip. It did climb up over one fairly steep mountain though. It was nice to finally reach the top. But the heavy rains from yesterday made for a very slippery descent. I only slipped and fell once. After I left the trails the route went back back to weaving in and out of tiny streets and alleys, crossing the same main roads over and over again until it finally climbed up one long final hill. I was beginning to think there really was no temple number 43.

Now it was time to hike on down to the station and catch the train back to Uwajima. Before I could go down though, I had to climb up one more steep slippery mountain trail. But it only went uphill for about a half kilometer then it steeply descended right down to the station. It was a much easier day than yesterday but I think I am just as tired.

It was supposed to rain all day and it never rained a single drop. I appreciated that little gift from Mother Nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment