Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Okuda ya

I was so lucky to find a place to stay tonight. Okuda ya is a mile or so past the seventh temple. I managed to call them on the phone and book my room. That in itself was a bit of a miracle, but actually finding the place was even more miraculous. I had my first Japanese Onsen experience here tonight when the owner took all of tonight's guest to one before dinner. Everything seems to be booked up by large tour groups. I tried to book ahead for tomorrow and gave up. I will just grab the train back to Takushima after I visit Temple 11 then take it back in the morning. It's not very far so it was probably the best idea anyway.

The walk was gorgeous today. The temples are absolutely fascinating and I've enjoyed every one of them. I've been quite surprised at how easy it has been to find my way. The route is quite well marked, mostly with tiny red arrows and tiny red pilgrim cartoons.

I haven't really gotten fully into the temple routine yet. It still seems quite foreign to me. But most of the time I do light my incense and my little candle and offer a prayer or two. I love listening to the large groups as the chant the Heart Sutra. It is almost like listening to beautiful music.

I have one stubborn toe that insists on hurting and turning bright red regardless of all efforts to protect it. My shoes don't rub it and there seems to be no explanation for its actions. I am on the lookout for a pair of sandals so I can give it a rest for some of the flatter trails.

So far it has been one fascinating journey observing not only the temples but the beautiful homes and unique little statues that seem to pop up everywhere. Shikoku is a magical wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment