Saturday, April 26, 2014

Day of Rest!

Well it was sort of a day of rest. 84 kilometers to the next temple plus it would also involve nearly the same amount back along the road to the following temple.
This morning I was exhausted and could hardly drag myself out of bed to begin with, but I had planned to at least walk some of it. 20 plus miles a day for nearly two weeks was starting to wear me out. So I decided to chop off some of the distance with a train ride to the Nakamura Station. I was so lucky again because the train pulled in just as I got to the station. At Nakamura I stumbled around for a while searching for the pilgrim route, with no luck. My guide book pages looked more like a picture of tossed spaghetti than of a map. It shows so many optional routes that I had no idea where to start. Then the bus to Ashizuri-misaki pulled in. I think it was calling my name so I hopped on. For the next hour and a half my aching feet were thanking me.

What a spectacular ride it was too. Magnificent ocean views and the lush green vegetation on the towering mountains, that I was a bit happy not to have to climb today. The final bus stop was right in front of temple 38 at the tip of the peninsula.

I think this was the most beautiful temple so far. Beautiful ponds and gardens all around it. On each of my trips I scatter a little packet of my mother's ashes in a special place. This time I chose a garden at the top of the temple grounds there at Kongofukuji. I think my mom would have liked that place.

The bus ride itself was terrifying at times on the narrowest twisting mountain road I have ever seen. It was barely wide enough for the bus, but of course we frequently met other cars and even another bus from the other direction. All along the way I spotted the familiar red pilgrimage signs and horrifying thoughts went through my head as I pictured myself caught between a car and a bus and the sheer drop to the sea on this road with no hint of sidewalk or shoulder.

After my temple visit I found a Tourist Information Center and asked their advice in sorting out my walking route to temple 39. Their consensus was to point me back to that bus stop and scoot back to Nakamura then catch the train to rejoin the trail beyond that nightmarish route. When the bus pulled up my happy feet made me hop back on.

I was so tired anyway that it was certainly the best choice. When I got back to Nakamura Station I spotted a hotel across the street and have parked myself there for the night.

In the morning I can cross the street and take the train back to the pilgrim trail. Then on to temples 38 and 40 for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment