Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Frogs and Birds

While walking along beside the many rice fields I kept hearing a strange sound that sounded like someone hitting bamboo sticks together. I only heard it by the flooded rice fields. Frogs! That's what I have been hearing. Thousands of frogs. I never see them but they sure love those flooded fields. There are thousands of birds all singing and chirping along with them. There are signs of spring everywhere. The flowers are magnificent and everyone seems to be outside tending to their beautiful gardens.

Temple 27 is 28 kilometers from the place I stayed last night. And, of course, it is on top of a steep mountain. With no place to stay between my minshuku and number 27, I took a bus to the bottom of the mountain, cutting off the long highway walk. The trail up the mountain was grueling but just a lovely nature walk.

I don't think I have ever seen such beautiful landscaping as there at Konomineji number 27. The temple and all of its grounds were literally hanging off of the side of the mountain. I think I climbed a million stairs just to reach the main temple building. I was surrounded by trees of every shade of green and small bushes shaped into perfect geometric shapes. A gentle stream flowed along the side of the staircase and provided the running water for a natural wash basin where you must purify yourself by washing your hands and mouth as you enter the temple grounds.
It was so peaceful that I felt I could stay there forever. As long as I didn't have to walk up and down into town very often.

Instead of the treacherous trail, I ran down the road that the cars use. It was nice to go for a 4 kilometer downhill run. I caught a train to my next hotel that is very near the next temple which is about 40 kilometers away. I checked in, grabbed some food at a convenience store then walked the two kilometers to Dianichiji, number 28.

Dianichiji's gardner must have trained at the same school of landscaping as that of temple number 27. The gardens at these temples create a feeling of a true heaven on earth. It was a perfect place to end my traveling day. I have a nice hotel for the night.

I made a few attempts at calling ahead for reservations for tomorrow night but it seems all rooms are full in the places listed in my guide book. But I will be in a larger town tomorrow so was able to book the Comfort Hotel through expedia.com, saving myself another confusing phone conversation.

The next 6 temples are all within a day's walk of each other so I won't be riding any trains or busses for a while. I'm glad I was able to save some time that way though. It's more important to me that I visit all of the temples, than to walk the entire distance on foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment