Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Wonderful Day

Today was just a perfect day for a walk in the sunshine in Shikoku. I started by catching the train back to the trail near temple number 39 from Nakamura Station. It was waiting for me on the track when I got there. I met two others who must have had the same plan because they were also dressed like me and were headed to number 39. We walked together and arrived right around the time the temple office opened at 7 am.

Enkoji was surrounded by the usual lush greenery and it also had the most beautiful pond filled with some of the biggest and most energetic koi fish I have ever seen. When I got close enough to take pictures I thought they were all going to leap right out of the water into my arms. I suspect they thought I was there to feed them. It was fascinating watching them jumping over each other to see who could get the closest to me. It was so nice there that I lingered around for a while. I'm not sure where the other two people went, but I suspect they went back to the station and continued on via train. It was 27 kilometers to the next temple and involved some substantial mountain climbing.

Since it was such a nice day I was really looking forward to the walk. It started out in town along the side of the road but quickly turned off through tiny villages and small winding country roads. The roads got smaller and climbed higher until they diminished into a beautiful but steep mountain trail.

I climbed through a combination of bamboo, eucalyptus, and pine forest, with frequent bushes with deep pink blossoms. Occasionally I got views down to the little villages below and the rugged coastline. It was cool and lovely in every way.

When I finally reached the top of the pass I was a little worried because there seemed to be several trails from there, all with signs that didn't point to anything on my map pages. Even more perplexing, none of the signs pointed towards the next temple. I stood there for a while in total confusion. My best guess was the trail leading to the right. It looked the closest to the direction of the trail in my guide book, and it seemed to be the best trail. Happily it turned out to be the right one. I followed it downhill for many miles to a junction where I could take a longer route up over another mountain or take the shorter route on the wide bike trail along the highway. It was getting later so I took the shorter route.

Temple 40 was right in the next town just half a kilometer from the town center. So I paid my visit to Kanjizaiji then walked back into town to find a hotel shown on my map. I was happy they had a room for me.

I would like to walk part of the 50 kilometers to temple 41 tomorrow but it involves more mountain passes and the forecast is for rain. If the weather is really horrible I may opt for a bus ride to Uwajima and leave my pack at a hotel there and walk to 41, 42, and 43 which are fairly close by. I will decide in the morning. Right now there is a fierce icy cold wind blowing outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment