Thursday, April 24, 2014

Endless Walk!

I feel like I walked 1000 miles today. Actually it was really only about 20 kilometers but my feet don't believe me.

I was going to take the bus back to where I left off yesterday. But I couldn't figure out the bus schedule and wondered how long I would have to wait for one. It was only about 3 miles back to where I finished so I decided to walk there instead of wasting an hour or more waiting for a bus. I found a great route and bypassed climbing back up the confusing mountain to Chikurinji.

I found my way easily to Zenbuji on top of it's steep mountain. That place was so beautiful I wanted to stay there forever. It had the most dramatic ocean view in addition to its profound variety of the usual blooming flowers and bushes. It was really worth the steep climb up the mountain trail. I took the easy way down though, trotting down the driving road. The driving road is always longer, but sometimes it is also easier. But I sure prefer a peaceful nature trail to battling cars going both ways on roads barely wide enough for one. There is no such thing as a sidewalk either. With the exception of the occasional bicycle trail, most of my walking is facing traffic with inches to spare as the cars go by. One was so close that it actually hit my walking stick! Things get even worse once school lets out and bicycles enter into the mix.

Most of the route has been fairly well marked. But for some reason, signs to temple 33 were almost nonexistent. My guidebook shows two routes so I chose the shorter one. I followed the few signs that I did find and was on the correct path. I was just about to the spot where you take the free ferry, when several locals stopped me. It turns out, you get what you pay for - there is no ferry. I imagine there was at one time but apparently at least not today. They directed me back a kilometer or two and across a gigantic bridge full of high speed traffic and high winds. It did actually have a narrow elevated sidewalk although when trucks went by I made sure I leaned against the railing. The view from the bridge was fantastic though.

Once across the bridge any sign of the usual red arrow direction signs disappeared completely. I asked directions from nearly every person and car that I passed and eventually found Sekkeiji. That was my main adventure for the day. I ran into a guy who I had met before and we walked together to Tanemaji, number 34. He is from Japan but lives in Hawaii so he spoke English. We had a nice conversation the whole way. It was such a nice walk too because not only was it well marked, it was flat. I guess they couldn't find a good mountain to build Tanemaji on so they settled for flat ground.

That was my last temple for the day but my hotel was another 5 kilometers down the road towards number 35. My feet felt like they were on fire by the time I got there. One big advantage is that it is only 3 kilometers from the next temple, which of course is perched on top of a little peak. I can leave my pack in my room and go up there in the morning.

Looking at my guidebook I can see that things will soon start to get more complex. But tomorrow should be a nice trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment