Monday, April 28, 2014

Walking to Uwajima

Oh what a long day this was. The next temple was too far to reach in a single day but I hoped to at least get half of the 50 kilometers behind me. Looking at the lodging prospects along the way, I decided to walk all the way to Uwajima, about 40 kilometers. Since I didn't need to reach a temple before the office closing time, I figured I could take as long as I wanted. It was really just a marathon with a few extras like my backpack and numerous hills.

The forecast was for rain but in the morning it was only cloudy so I decided to go for it.

There are several pilgrim routes but due to the threat of rain I chose the ocean view route over the Kashiwazaka Trail that looked pretty rugged and climbs over a couple of substantial mountains. I didn't think I would enjoy being up there on a mountain trail in a downpour.

The walk along the water was really nice even though it was pretty cloudy. I love the sights and sounds of the sea.

I had quite an issue with the wind however. The attachment to one of the ties on my pointed straw hat broke because the wind was constantly tearing it off my head. I had to chase it down the street on several occasions. When the rain finally did arrive it didn't chase the wind away at all. My rain poncho worked great except for the time the wind hit me from behind and blew it right over my head covering my face. I really hope no one was looking. It took a bit of fiddling to untangle myself from that mess. That was the first time I had to chase after my hat that was galloping down the road.

My hair is really fine and tangles easily. It has been a constant battle trying to protect it. This morning I braided it and tied my scarf around my head then put the hat over it. By the end of the day I had completely given up after chasing my hat several times and also having the scarf ripped off my head a few times. I will be detangling for the rest of the evening.

Once I got to Uwajima I was so happy to be there. But I really wasn't there as such. All the hotels are near the train station but I walked through the city for at least two hours trying to get to the station. It is a very large city compared to most of the other towns along the 88 temple route.

The next 3 temples are all along the rail line. So I am staying two nights in this hotel so I can walk to all 3 then take the train back here. That way my pack can stay in my room and I can have a more comfortable day, even though rain is still in the forecast. Temple 44 is about 70 kilometers from 43 so I will likely just use the train the next morning to get me closer to it.

I need to soak my feet in cold water for a while now.

No comments:

Post a Comment