Thursday, May 8, 2014

A Fascinating Day

Today was incredible in so many ways. It started and ended with beautiful weather.

I started my day at temple 70 which was just a short 3 kilometer walk from my hotel. From there I started the long 12 kilometer hike to number 71, Iyadanji. I was walking along by myself when a man walked up beside me and said he would walk with me. He became sort of a self proclaimed guide for the rest of my day. He wasn't even a pilgrim, just your basic person out for his morning walk!

The trek to Iyadanji was quite tiring and of course it was sitting high on a mountain. I think it was the most fascinating place I have seen yet. It is sort of carved out of the side of a huge rock wall with mysterious images carved into the rocks. It also had a profound number of stairs. In the main temple one of the monks led me in to the inner sanctuary to view a special image that was being shown to the public today. I felt extremely honored to be able to pay it a visit.

I think a person could spend weeks just exploring all of the little trails and strange tiny staircases that seemed to lead in every direction here at this temple. The view down to the city below was about as extraordinary as could be as well. I can only imagine the amazing artifacts that must be lurking in the mountains here in Japan. There are little statues everywhere, usually decorated with little red bibs and hats as if they might catch cold or spill some of the little bits of food that people so often leave for them. I have to wonder who makes their clothing!

The rest of the temples I saw today were all within a few kilometers of each other. But by the time my guide and I reached number 75 I felt I had only enough energy left to make it to my hotel. At least I hoped I had that much. My companion gave me a deep bow and I thanked him over and over again for his help. Then I started towards my hotel that was at least 5 kilometers away. Temple 76 was actually right on the way so I decided to visit it if I could get there before the temple office closed. I did make it in time to get my book stamped and signed.

By the time I reached my hotel I must have been a scary sight. The wind was blowing so hard that it tore the straps off my hat and blew my scarf right off my head. My hair looked like a scarecrow by the time I reached the hotel front desk. I was so tired that I collapsed in the bed for a while before even thinking about getting something to eat. It has been a very long and tiring day. But a very interesting one. I'm still so overwhelmed just by the experience of visiting Iyadanji. I doubt that I will ever forget that unusual place.

No comments:

Post a Comment