Friday, May 2, 2014

One of Those Days!

I woke up tired to begin with and the day sort of went downhill from there. The hotel where I stayed last night was right in the middle of the city. Rejoining the pilgrim trail looked like it would be a difficult process if I could even figure out how to do it.

My guidebook suggested taking a bus from the Matsuyama station directly to temple 52. That certainly sounded like a simple process. It was only about 2 kilometers to the station.

But when I got there the bus terminal people had no
Idea when that bus would arrive. But they said to wait at stop 1. I waited and waited and asked the next few busses but the drivers all said it was the wrong bus. One told me I was at the wrong stop number 1! I waited a few minutes at the supposed correct stop number 1. But finally I just gave up and took a taxi. I could have walked there in the time I wasted waiting around.

Temple 52 was at the top of the longest staircase I have ever seen! After visiting the temple I had to walk all the way back down to get my temple book signed. At least that was on the way to temple 53.

About halfway to temple 53 a couple of very sweet elderly men practically dragged me across the street to a little table so they could treat me to osetai. They gave me cookies, hot coffee and even a little cup of rice wine. Suddenly my day was going much better.

Temple 53 was very close and was a lovely place. But after that I was facing a very long walk of about 30 kilometers. I knew I would not make it that far because it was already getting a little late. But I really had no idea where I was going to stay tonight either. So I just started walking and walking and more walking. I think the uncertainty was bothering me. I really was never quite sure where I really was at any given time. It was just a very long trek along the highway. It was pretty though because a lot of it was along the bay.

But I was really starting to wear out. My feet and legs were beginning to hurt a lot. I was even feeling a little light headed. It was pretty warm so I was drinking a lot of water. But I finally decided that I just didn't want to walk any farther. Checking my map I found the nearest train station and went there. I had to wait an hour for the next train that would take me to the closest station to the next temple on my route. While I waited, I called a hotel in that area and reserved a room. It was a relief to know I would be off my feet until tomorrow morning.

When I got off the train I asked directions from a construction worker. He had me follow him, but instead of pointing me in the right direction, he took me to his car and drove me to my hotel!

The place I am staying is really cute and the owners are so nice. They cooked me an amazing dinner too. I think I now have enough fuel to get me to temples 54 through 59 tomorrow.

It's looking grim for a place to stay tomorrow night though. It is a holiday weekend and everything is full. I may be crashing in a train station tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment