Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Koyasan Tomorrow

I'm visiting Osaka today while finalizing my plans to get to Mt. Koya tomorrow. I had a lovely walk to Osaka Castle this afternoon.

But most of today was spent in travel. Trains trains and more trains! First I got lost just walking to the Takamatsu station. That wasn't a good start! I ended up on a train to Okayama, then a speedy Shinkansen ride to a station near Osaka. From there on to another train to the actual Osaka station. My guidebook suggests two more trains but the Japan Railroad ticket lady pointed me to the subway. One more train and I was finally at Namba Station.

From there it was a treasure hunt looking for the information center responsible for selling the World Heritage tickets to Koyasan. I am delighted to say I now have my train tickets and a two day bus pass. Now to find my way back to the station and find the right train in the morning.

I still had no place to stay for tomorrow night and almost panicked when Expedia denied Koyasan's existence. As I was pleading for help from the really sweet clerk at my hotel's front desk, I managed to find a place using Bookings.com. I think I will bookmark that site for future reference.

The Osaka Castle and it's many gardens and museum were a great place to spend the afternoon. I am happy to say I managed to negotiate the Osaka subway system without any major incidents too.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and visiting the holy sites of Koyasan. It's the perfect ending to the Shikoku Pilgrimage.

No comments:

Post a Comment