Sunday, May 4, 2014

Not My Best Day!

Holy cow! What a crazy day. I started out about 3 kilometers from temple 59 that I went to yesterday. But to get back on the trail for number 60 I had to retrace my steps. The route to 60 was about 28 kilometers without those extra additional kilometers. Plus, number 60 is perched way up on top of a mountain. At first I thought I might go for the bus/ train route, but it was such a nice day that I decided to walk. I figured I would walk until I got tired then maybe change my plan.

I tried to book a hotel and every one I called said they had no rooms. So that was causing a little concern. When I reached the spot where the trail heads straight up, I felt I didn't have enough time to get there before the temple office closed. So I tried a couple more hotels with still no luck.

So I decided to see if I could make that last 10 kilometers up the mountain in the next 4 hours. I actually moved rather quickly and although the last 2 kilometers were extremely steep and totally exhausting, I did make it with an hour to spare.

But then I was faced with at least a 10 kilometer walk down to the town still with no hotel. A young couple helped by calling some places for me but again with no luck. So all I could do at that point was head down towards the town and hope for better luck.

The road down seemed to go on forever and at this point I really don't know what road I was even on! A bus came around the corner and startled me and I slipped on some loose gravel and went flying. I tore open my old wounds and caused a few more. I was a bloody mess on the side of the road! The bus driver piled me into the bus and took me to the bus station where everyone proceeded to bandage my wounds. I was so lucky because there just happens to be a hotel there and I am staying there for the night.

The lady of the house wasn't satisfied with the original bandaging job so she replaced them with her own version. I look like I've been in a massive car wreck but it's really nothing but a bunch of ugly abrasions. My shoes are wearing out and there is no tread left so they tend to be slippery I'm afraid.

I must say though, as bad as my luck was, I was certainly lucky. If I had not fallen I have no idea where that road might have led me. I may have walked all night. And at least I have a place to sleep!

Temple 60 was a lovely place but I don't have really fond memories of it at the moment. From now on if the trail is that long I will make better plans and not push myself to total exhaustion.

People were so sweet today. I received so much food as osetai that I almost had too much to carry. I never went hungry that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment