Thursday, May 1, 2014

Matsuyama and Enlightenment

They say the Shikoku 88 Temple Pilgrimage is divided into four sections corresponding to the four prefectures of Shikoku.
Tokushima is the Place of Spiritual Awakening. Kochi Prefecture is the Place of Ascetic Training. Ehime Prefecture where I am now is the Place of Enlightenment. And Kagawa, the final one is the Place of Nirvana.

Right now my feet feel like they have reached enlightenment because they are happy that they have stopped walking for the day. It was a beautiful walk today though. The first half was mostly on lovely deep forest trails that didn't involve huge amounts of uphill for a change. It seemed to be predominantly downhill to Matsuyama where I have stopped for the night. The clerk at last night's hotel booked a reservation for me for tonight, but it was much too soon to stop. I got there by 11 am this morning. I canceled that one and managed to book a really nice hotel near temple number 51. It was still quite a walk from the last temple to my hotel but at least I got to see a lot of temples today. 46 through 51.

I met a nice gal from Germany and we walked together to several of the temples. She spoke English so it was nice to have some conversation for a change. Most of the time I am walking completely alone. Actually I don't even see very many Japanese walking the whole way. It's been very peaceful walking through the mountains and the forest with only the sounds of the birds to keep me company.

Tomorrow I should leave the city of Matsuyama and be back out in the countryside again. It was a bit frustrating negotiating all the traffic while walking on the side of the road with no sidewalks. I really have to be careful so I don't get hit by a passing car. I prefer the mountain trails and the bicycle paths to the crazy city traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment